[Python-Dev] uthread strawman

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Thu, 09 Nov 2000 15:26:17 +0200

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Christian Tismer wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know of a useful example where continuations
> > are really needed?
>
> Well, it may be a bit unpythonic (for several reasons), but restartable
> exceptions AFAICS cannot be implemented by generators or coroutines.
> Restartable exceptions are not always appropriate, but tend to be
> a pain to simulate when they are needed.

(sorry for posting to python-dev/null but Starship is still down)

How would restartable exceptions work? Like so?

try:     # here, a continuation is saved
    pass # some operations which may fail,
         # raising something that inherits from RestartableException

except RestartableException:
    pass # repair the condition
    sys.try_again()   # go back to the try statement

Probably not, since this would be doable by just an internal
jump operation.
But if the restartable exception were a callable object,
continuations might be necessary, since we now have a fork
of two concurrently existing execution paths in the frame:
We might continue with the exception handling but pass the
restartable to someone else, who tries to call it later.

cheers - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@tismer.com>