[Python-Dev] installing IDLE & other Tools

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:16:01 -0500 (EST)

I just saw your note about whether IDLE was packaged with the Python
RPMs.  It isn't, nor is anything in the Tools directory.  I did the
simplest thing possible with the RPM and ran "make install".  The RPM
installs whatever is installed as a result of that.

We've discussed installation of other tools once or twice, but I've
never decided what exactly to do.  The compiler package, for example,
comes with a distutils setup.py script that will do the job.  I think
the best way to move forward is to write setup.py scripts for all the
other tools that ought to be installed.

I don't know how to package up idle cleanly, though.  I need to decide
what to install and where to install it.  The Tools/idle directory is
nominally a package, but it doesn't seem like that will help much for
installing it.  If we want to call the executable script idle.py, it
will clash with the idle package name.  Any advice here?  It doesn't
seem like there is any obvious way to "install" IDLE; it looks like it
is intended to be run out of the source directory.

If anyone else owns (or otherwise feels responsible for) a package in
the Tools directory that ought to be included with the RPMs, please
write a setup script for it.

Jeremy