[Python-Dev] installing IDLE & other Tools

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:11:30 -0500

On 14 November 2000, Jeremy Hylton said:
> How about
> <prefix>/lib/python<version>/Tools/idle
> instead.  I suggest the change to support an until-now-implicit policy
> that anything in site-packages actually be a package.  If things in
> site-packages aren't supposed to be packages, it ought to be called
> something like site-tools <0.2 wink>.

Actually, lots of non-packagized modules get installed to site-packages
-- they just wind up right in site-packages, rather than in a
subdirectory of it.

I've always thought this directory was misnamed -- should have been
"site-lib" or something.  Oh well.

For the record, the Distutils don't currently support the "application"
model of installation that Guido wants.  It's on the (unofficial,
notional, blue-sky) to-do list.

        Greg