[Python-Dev] PEP Process Inefficient?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:16:09 +0100

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
> > The original idea was for PEP authors to include the important
> > parts of those discussions in summary in the PEP -- AFAIK, this
> > is not done :-(
>
> I'm trying to do this. However, summarising every e-mail sent to me
> about this PEP is quite a burden.
>
> > Hmm, wouldn't something like the SF bug manager be the ideal
> > platform ? Perhaps someone could get the SF guys to add something
> > like an "idea" manager with similar functionality but different
> > content to SF ?!
>
> Yeah, that would work to.
>
> > In the meantime, I think PEP discussions ought to taken to the
> > sig mailing lists using python-dev as fallback solution.
>
> I think most of the PEPs are not in the charter of any new sig, and
> python-dev is invitation only forum. Perhaps having pep-xxx-sig would
> solve it too?

I don't think people would sign up for each and every PEP...
and you know how hard it is to even move a discussion from
one forum to another -- this either doesn't work out or
kills discussion.

I think the simplest solution would be something like the
SF bug manager. I'm pretty sure that other projects on SF
have similar problems, so this might be worthwhile dicussing
with the SF folks. The technology and user interface are there,
it would only take a few new tables in the database.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg