[Python-Dev] PEP Process Inefficient?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:21:01 -0500 (EST)

Moshe Zadka writes:
 > only address on the PEP points to me (for example), I get all the mail
 > about the PEP personally -- and I'm loath to bounce it to a public forum.
 > *Having* a public forum which is *indicated in the PEP* would solve that.

  Having a public forum isn't quite what's needed (though useful);
much of the time, it's more important to have a public *archive*.  I'm
sure there's a way to set things up a mail handler that maintains an
mbox file with collected mails on a topic, and a pipermail browsable
version of that should be available, and each PEP should point to the
appropriate archive.  (It should also clearly state that relevant
emails may be added to the archive at the recipient's discretion!)
  Using a mail handler for this would allow the handler to be added to
the CC: on the emails and generally collect replies without any
additional work on the part of the PEP author.  The handler could be
CC'd when the PEP is posted so that replies to the posting go there as
well.
  Now we just need someone interested in writing a handler.  ;-{

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations