[Python-Dev] PEP-0218

Moshe Zadka moshez@zadka.site.co.il
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:06:42 +0200

Well, another proof of the bugs in the PEP process -- my remarks were
lost, so I'll send them here.

Let me note that almost everything Greg Wilson wants to do can be done
via a Python class implementing a set using a dictionary mapping to None.
Almost?

* No builitin syntax: import Set;Set(1,2,3) instead of {1,2,3}
* Convertors: if we want list/tuple to have a semblance of efficiency,
  we'll need to cache the element list as a list when accessed by
* Two different constructors: set() for building from sequence, Set()
  for building from elements. Might be confusing.
* Only possible elements of a set are immutables. OTOH, I'm not sure
  how Greg intends to implement his sets if these sets are allowed
  to contain mutable elements.

--
Moshe Zadka <sig@zadka.site.co.il>
This is a signature anti-virus.