[Python-Dev] versioning standards?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:42:02 +0100

Greg Wilson wrote:

> Hi, folks.  Is there a standard or usual way to provide version
> information inside a Python module or class?  Special tokens in
> the doc string, a method like "getVersion"...?

AFAIK, __version__ with a string value is in common usage both
in modules and classes.

BTW, while we're at it: with the growing number of dependencies
between modules, packages and the Python lib version... how about
creating a standard to enable versioning in module/package imports ?

It would have to meet (at least) these requirements:

* import of a specific version

* alias of the unversioned name to the most recent version
  available

Thoughts ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg