[Python-Dev] A house upon the sand

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:22:18 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I suggest adding the following to the string module's documentation
> (rather than marking it as explicitly deprecated):
>
>     This module exists for backwards compatibility only.  It will
>     eventually be deprecated and its use should be avoided in new code.
>
> I also suggest that someone go through the standard library and get
> rid of all uses of the string module.  (What to do with string.letters
> c.s.?)

We will need some place to put constants and other non-method
based string related functions (much like the Unicode
database module which serves a similar purpose)...
the ideal complement would be a stringdata module which provides
the same interfaces as the unicodedata module if reasonably
possible (we'd get into encoding problems again...) !

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg