[Python-Dev] A house upon the sand

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:23:10 -0500

[Guido]
> Because of its importance, the deprecation time of the string module
> will be longer than that of most deprecated modules.  I expect it
> won't be removed until Python 3000.

I see nothing in the 2.0 docs, code, or "what's new" web pages saying that
it's deprecated.  So I don't think you can even start the clock on this one
before 2.1 (a fuzzy stmt on the web page for the unused 1.6 release doesn't
count ...).

> This has been discussed -- jut note that continuing to use the string
> module *is* frowned upon, and such stubborn code will get its just
> desserts when Py3K arrives.
>
> I suggest adding the following to the string module's documentation
> (rather than marking it as explicitly deprecated):
>
>     This module exists for backwards compatibility only.  It will
>     eventually be deprecated and its use should be avoided in new
>     code.
>
> I also suggest that someone go through the standard library and get
> rid of all uses of the string module.  (What to do with string.letters
> c.s.?)

They have to be in a module.  They've always been in the string module.
Common sense thus dictates "leave them in the string module" <0.3 wink>.

change-for-the-sake-of-irritation-is-arguably-irritating-ly y'rs  - tim