[Python-Dev] Python track--O'Reilly Open Source Convention

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:09:03 -0500

Laura Lewin is looking for chairs for two Python tracks (or a Python
track and a Zope track) at the O'Reilly conference.  Anybody
interested in volunteering?  Some background info:

> We actually have two tracks, and there's room for strong differentiation
> between the two.  Each track has a room for two days. We'll also want
> tutorials on the Monday and Tuesday.
>
> Like O'Reilly's books, we're not really aimed at the novice. We want to
> give people who already use the technology more information. There should
> be at least one introductory tutorial, but we don't want to focus
> exclusively on that. However, if you, as Chair, have a vision for what you
> want O'Reilly's conference to be, we'd be very happy to work with you to
> realize that vision.
>
> This year we're trying to raise the bar on our Python and Zope offerings.
> We'd like to have a lot of editorial involvement from a program committee,
> so that potential speakers have a chance to get their talks reviewed and
> commented-upon by others.
>
> The program chair would really be the point person for the conference, to
> drum up papers and help publicize the conference to the Python community.
> The chair would appoint a committee, receive submissions, select
> presentations, seek out talks from people who
> didn't submit, and generally put together the material.
>
> We can handle any combination of program committees and chairs: one person
> overseeing two committees, two chairs two committees, whatever gets it all
> done.
>
> Does this sound like a job you're interested in? It doesn't pay, but it
> would be great for the Python community, as I'm sure you know.

For more info, please write or call Laura Lewin LLewin@oreilly.com
(631) 262-9278.