[Python-Dev] Re: CVS: python/dist/src/Lib cgi.py,1.53,1.54

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 03:15:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> > Change first line to #!/usr/bin/env python (really just to test check-in).
>
> hmm.  cgi.py is a CGI script.  according to the Python FAQ, CGI
> scripts should use an explicit path, not /usr/bin/env:
>
>     "Note -- *don't* do this for CGI scripts. The $PATH variable
>     for CGI scripts is often very minimal, so you need to use the
>     actual absolute pathname of the interpreter."

The $PATH variable for CGI scripts may be minimal, but minimal
as it is, Python should still be on it.  Using /usr/bin/python
works for half the people and /usr/local/bin/python works for
the other half... /usr/bin/env is supposed to work for everyone.

If this has already been argued soundly to death, i'm happy to
back out the change and add a comment.  It was a meaningless
change for me anyway.

Oh well.  Anyway, i'm glad CVS commit *finally* works for me.
Sorry for the extra hassle.

-- ?!ng

"To be human is to continually change.  Your desire to remain as you are
is what ultimately limits you."
    -- The Puppet Master, Ghost in the Shell