[Python-Dev] Suggested change for Setup.in

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:39:19 -0400 (EDT)

I have a small suggestion for Modules/Setup.in.  On Linux (RH6.1) with
the zlib rpm installed, all I need to enable this module is the
following line:

    zlib zlibmodule.c -lz

but Setup.in has this suggestion, which I think is too hard for people
to figure out what to do:

    zlib zlibmodule.c -I$(prefix)/include -L$(exec_prefix)/lib -lz

The standard build options will already include the right -I and -L
flags for this to Just Work.  I suggest we make the common case
(Linux?) simple, and let others figure out what the right -I and -L
flags are.  I submit that even if they /do/ have to handcraft -I and
-L, the defaults in Setup.in are pretty meaningless.

A worthy change?  For 2.0 final?

-Barry