[Python-Dev] htmllib.HTMLescape()

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 22:31:23 +0200 (MET DST)

> Someone just pointed out on c.l.py that we need an HTMLescape()
> function that takes a string and converts special characters to
> entities.  I'm not on python-dev, so could you please forward this
> and find out whether I need to run a PEP?

Doesn't xml.sax.saxutils.escape do what you want (together with
htmlentitydefs)? I was going to say that this is quite a small change
to warrant a PEP - but there are two obvious approaches (working from
scratch, or working on top of xml.sax.saxutils.escape - perhaps
modifying and relocating that function), so *some* design probably
needs to be recorded in a PEP.

Regards,
Martin