[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Modules cPickle.c,2.52,2.53

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 13:24:20 -0500

> I aways seem to think harder when reviewing a commit message than
> a diff. :(  I just realized that this commit subtly modifies
> cPickle's behavior.  Before the change instances __del__ methods
> would be called if allocating __dict__ failed.  After the change
> they are not.  I think the new behavior is better but the
> question is will it break existing code?  I think probably not.

This is goodness.  Don't worry about breaking code -- it probably
*fixes* code.  Most __del__ methods don't know what to do when the
instance variables haven't been defined yet!

> BTW, pickle seems to follow the new behavior.

Even better.