[Python-Dev] Python 2.0b2 note for Windows developers

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 15:28:55 -0400

[Barry]
> 	Two requests:
>
> 1. Can you ship the .PDB files for the debug images so devo's
>    do not need to build the python sources to debug extensions.
>    And Yes I know the .ZIP will be huge. If you want a
>    compromise only include the .PDB for python20_d.dll.

Sure!  Most .pdb files are highly compressible, and the zip size hit isn't
anything to worry about.

> 2. Place the files into libs, pyd etc dirs. I had to extract
>    the groups into the right places which is a bit tedious
>    and error prone.

No.  If you want a directory structure that doesn't match the actual build
directory structure, I can't read your mind, and have no reason to believe
that the specific artificial structure you have in mind is of use to anyone
but you.  Don't be so helpless <wink>:  write a tiny Python script to move
the files where you want them after unpacking.  What I upload will be an
exact image of the build directory structure.  Most feedback I've gotten is
that people want exactly that, because they *want* to compile Python
themselves and just want to avoid jumping thru all the snaky hoops needed to
compile the 3rd-party subprojects (from _tkinter to zlib).

alphabetically y'rs  - tim