[Python-Dev] Re: Possible bug (was Re: numpy, overflow, inf, ieee, and rich comparison)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:12:15 -0400 (EDT)

I checked in the patch that removed the -lieee link in some cases.  I
don't remember the details off the top of my head, but I can go
digging in the SF patch logs if it's important.  As I recall, someone
reported problems on a platform (HPUX?) where link with ieee caused
problems.  I didn't have access to the platform in question.  So I
applied the patch on a Linux box and ran the regression test; it
reported no errors, so I assumed the patch fixed some other platform
and did mine no harm.

At the moment, I would assume that the patch still helps some other
platform but might not be right on Linux.  On the other hand, it
sounds like Tim has a patch that will cause Linux to do the right
thing.

It's hard to say much about what should or should not happen since
neither the language reference nor the regression tests specifies much
about what should happen with fp.

Jeremy