[Python-Dev] can't build with threads on OSF/1

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 13:05:41 +0200

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 09:19:38PM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 01:31:34PM -0500, Charles G Waldman wrote:

[ DEC threads (OSF1) are not automatically detected, causing a compilation
  failure on such systems ]

> > It would be nice if configure were smart enough to figure this out!

> ... we can easily add that. See the attached patch ...

Charles, if you get a chance to test this patch before monday, please do. I
think it's important to try and get the thread compiling right, now that
threads are on by default. This is going to create a lot of confusion with
OSF-users that don't read the README all the way through!

If you can't test it, perhaps we can apply it before 2.0 none the less. I
personally think there are more systems calling themselves OSF1 that do need
the -threads argument than there are that don't need it (if any) and the
patch only adds -threads if threads are really enabled. (Or perhaps change
the patch to read 'OSF1)' instead of 'OSF*)' in the case stmt, to be
conservative.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>