[Python-Dev] Wierd buffer "add" behaviour.

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:50:22 +0200

Mark Hammond wrote:

> I just struck this, and wonder if it is intentional:
>
> * Adding 2 buffer objects together yields a string.  Fair enough.
> * Adding a buffer and a string yields a type error!  Eeek.

This just seems plain wrong. Adding two buffers should yield
a new buffer -- in the long run, buffers should replace strings
wrt to holding binary data. If not even buffers themselves
implement this idea, I don't see any perspective for ever getting
there...

> This yields the following strange behaviour:

> 'aa'
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
> TypeError: cannot add type "buffer" to string
> >>>

> That doesnt seem correct to me?

Neither to me.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg