[Python-Dev] This Project Has Not Released Any Files

Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:31:58 +0200

[Tim Peters]
> From BeOpen.com's POV, so long as they were paying major bills, they
> would rather have download traffic tickle their ad banners than SF's
> ad banners.

Even though this should have been clear to me all the time, stating it
explicitly triggers alarms for me.

I just checked, and it appears that Python 2.0 is not available for
download via ftp. In particular, it is not available via ftp from
ftp.python.org! If it was there, mirrors all over the world would pick
it up and bring it in a location near me (ftp.fu-berlin.de would be
nearest) (*).

So while making it available on SF may indeed give no advantage,
making it available on python.org would provide users with alternative
download locations, so that I don't feel the bandwidth limitation that
Web download from pythonlabs.com produces. That would be a clear
advantage to me, at least.

Of course, having ftp mirrors would mean that many downloads do not
tickle anybody's ad banners - which would probably be in the interest
of other users as well, just not in the interest of BeOpen. So I'm
curious how this conflict of interest is resolved...

Regards,
Martin

(*) ftp://ftp.python.org/python/src/README does not even mention
Python 2.0, and ftp://ftp.python.org/python/src/README.ftp says

Note that some mirrors only collect the this directory (src), and the
doc and contrib siblings, while the ftp master site,
<URL:ftp://ftp.python.org/>, has much more.

"Much more" may be true, just nothing recent... I probably should ask
ftpmaster.python.org to put Python-2.0.tar.gz in that directory.