[Python-Dev] Re: Compiling python 2.0

Trent Mick trentm@ActiveState.com
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:54:59 -0700

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 10:21:18PM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:=0D
> As for the other error, that's really an error :(=0D
> =0D
> ../libpython2.0.a(fileobject.o): In function =1Fportable_fseek':=0D
> /usr/home/thomas/Python-2.0/Objects/fileobject.c:274: undefined=0D
> reference to `TELL64'=0D
> =0D
> The problem is that BSDI has an 'off_t' type that is larger than the 'lon=
g'=0D
> type, and Python's configure makes the flawed assumption that this means=
=0D
> BSDI supports large files (larger than 2Gb.) However, BSDI doesn't. This =
bug=0D
> is even present with BSDI 4.1, and probably more platforms. You can fix t=
his=0D
> by editing './config.h' after running './configure', and commenting out t=
he=0D
> HAVE_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT line; changing this:=0D
> =0D
> #define HAVE_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT 1=0D
> =0D
> into something like this:=0D
> =0D
> /* #define HAVE_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT 1 */=0D
> =0D
> (You can just remove the line as well.) The downside of both these 'hacks=
'=0D
> (excuse me, 'hotfixes'), is that you'll have to reedit the files again af=
ter=0D
> running configure again (or something that runs configure, like=0D
> 'config.status'.)=0D
=0D
This one isthe saem problem that showed up for NetBSD1.4.2 and OpenBSD (I s=
ee=0D
a pattern)=0D
http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?func=3Ddetailbug&bug_id=3D112289&group_id=3D54=
70=0D
=0D
It was fixed by adding a hack in fileobject.c to *define* TELL64.=0D
http://sourceforge.net/patch/index.php?func=3Ddetailpatch&patch_id=3D101558=
&group_id=3D5470=0D
=0D
For the quickfix, the same hack could be used for BSDI.=0D
=0D
As you suggest Thomas, the proper fix is to patch configure.in such that it=
=0D
does not report that these system support largefiles.=0D
=0D
I don't have the time to do this right away, nor do I have one of these box=
es=0D
on which to test it. I can try to make a patch though. We don't you file a=
=0D
bug and assign it to me.=0D
=0D
Trent=0D