[Python-Dev] FYI: ajuba solutions (formerly scriptics) acquired by interwoven

Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:21:18 -0400

Fredrik Lundh <effbot@telia.com> wrote:
> looks like Tcl's parent company has ceased to be:

I checked out comp.lang.tcl after hearing about this.  Ousterhout
posted to say that an official statement will be coming out today or
tomorrow, so I wouldn't conclude that Tcl is dead just yet; we'll see
what he says the core team is going to do...

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 03:40:16PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>This raises anew a question I've been meaning to bring up for the last
>week: is it finally time to move away from Python's dependence on
>Tcl/Tk for GUI support?

It seems to me that supporting MacOS is the big problem for
cross-platform GUIs.  There are several different systems such as Qt
that aim for portability across Windows and Unix, but add in the MacOS
and the options really decrease.  How good is wxWindows support for
MacOS?

Or will MacOS X fix the problem?  I know MacOS X uses a BSD-based
underlying kernel, but don't know if it will support X Windows out of
the box.  If people can only use MacOS-specific GUI APIs, then
software such as Tk would still need to be ported specially to MacOS X.

--amk