[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:30:11 -0400

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 04:08:13PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>The Scintilla text widget comes close (and surpasses Tkinter in some
>respects, while coming short in others), but I know of no widget in a
>popular widget set that offers anything close to the Canvas widget.

I believe the GNOME (not GTk's, but GNOME's) canvas widget began as a
fork of the Tk widget that was then substantially enhanced to be a
general-purpose display engine, with antialiasing, alpha compositing,
more attention to performance, and other fancy features.  I don't know
if the corresponding text widget (which is Pango, www.pango.org, I
think) is equally featureful.

--amk