[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:19:33 +1100

Trimmed all CCs

[Guido]
> and the Mozilla toolkit (whose name I forget -- maybe David
> Ascher can fill me in).

[Trent "David Ascher" Mick responds]
> XUL. Though slappin' a GUI together in XUL is not all the same as for
> the other toolkits. Layout with XML, functionality with
> JavaScript and Python (and/or Perl of C++).

As a fairly irrelevant (at this point in time) observation:

Something about the Mozilla XUL engine seems "right".  It is large and
complex, but their XML based layout engine, and powerful "code-less" widget
creation has a lot of potential IMO.

It is very very new and rough.  It is very tightly bound with Mozilla
itself and javascript, although efforts are underway to separate it from
both.  It is huge, and constantly changing.  It has been designed for
tomorrow, and struggles along today.  But it may well turn out to be and
expressive and compelling model for the future.

So, if we can just continue to disagree for the next 2 or 3 years, it may
well become something worth considering ;-)

Mark.