[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Charles G Waldman cgw@fnal.gov
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:21:45 -0500 (CDT)

Mark Hammond writes:
 > >  > Agreed.  However, XPFE works fine here IMO.
 > >
 > cgw> "Here" means on MS-Win, right?   Maybe that's why our perceptions are
 > cgw> so different.
 >
 > Correct.  Although I have run it under Linux a few times, I wouldnt really
 > know LAF issues if I tripped over them there ;-)
 >
 > Mark.

It's certainly true that the lack of a consistent look and feel for
Linux apps has been somewhat of a problem historically.  However, with
the emergence of Gnome, it seems that there is finally some
convergence.  (Althought people in the KDE/Qt camp will certainly not
agree!)  Gnome is gathering momentum, especially now that Sun has
joined the Gnome Foundation.  With outfits like Eazel, Helix Code,
etc, turning out high-quality products, things are moving fast in the
Gnome/Gtk+ world and it seems clear to me that this will be the major
desktop platform for Unix machines in the upcoming decade.

Back in my former life, when I was still worrying about Windows, the
company I worked for bought into a commerical x-platform GUI toolkit
called Galaxy (I mentioned this earlier).  Galaxy re-implemented all
the native widgets, kind of like XPFE does.  One issue with this was
that MS seemed to change something about the widgets in every release
- e.g. the Galaxy filechooser looked like Windows 3.1, then Win95 came
out and Galaxy had to play catch-up.  Once Galaxy had the Win95 LAF,
Win98 came out.  Now I hear there's something called Windows ME.  Have
they changed the look-and-feel again?  Seems to me like all the
widget-reimplementors are doomed to playing eternal catch-up.

OK, enough off-topic rambling (for now),

	   -C