[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:39:38 -0500

> I can articulate why I'm unhappy with the current set-up:
>
> 1. Requiring Tcl is fragile.  Un-gumming installation on machines at Los
>    Alamos before my first Python course cost me several hours, and I had
>    to do it again two months' later.  I've run into similar problems with
>    multiple Tcl installations on Windows machines (personal use).

For Windows, this problem has gone away in 1.6 and 2.0 -- we
distribute and install our own Tcl/Tk binaries, in a place that
doesn't affect or require existing Tcl/Tk installations.

Maybe we can do the same for Unix binary distributions?  I believe
Jeremy has already had to create a separate RPM for _tkinter because
there are too many different versions of Tcl/Tk out there -- it
shouldn't be hard to install our own altogether.

> 2. (Lack of) native look and feel.  This is a complete show-stopper for
>    many of the outfits I've dealt with (and not just with Python).

Really?  Are you sure that's not just general resistence against new
things?  To me, and I suspect may others, the app I use most often on
Windows is Netscape -- talk about lack of native look-and-feel!  It's
never bothered me all that much.

Or are you saying that IDLE isn't designed as a typical Microsoft app?
That's quite a separate issue from the widget look-and-feel!