[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Greg Wilson gvwilson@nevex.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:58:59 -0400 (EDT)

> > Greg Wilson:
> > I can articulate why I'm unhappy with the current set-up:
> > 1. Requiring Tcl is fragile.

> Guido van Rossum:
> For Windows, this problem has gone away in 1.6 and 2.0 -- we distribute and
> install our own Tcl/Tk binaries

OK.

> > Greg Wilson:
> > 2. (Lack of) native look and feel.  This is a complete show-stopper for
> >    many of the outfits I've dealt with (and not just with Python).

> Guido van Rossum:
> Really?  Are you sure that's not just general resistence against new things?

Well, my students' resistance to novelty is low enough that they're willing to
take a Python course :-).  This comes up every time I teach; no idea whether it
has any impact on the usability of completed applications, but I believe it
makes people less likely to choose Tkinter when starting development.

Thanks,
Greg