[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 07:25:29 -0500

> Andrew Kuchling wrote:
>
> > Can someone articulate why Tk should be replaced?

Jim Ahlstrom replied:

> I don't know whether Tk should replaced, but I
> can explain why I don't use it for our commercial
> Python application.
>
> It is just too big and complicated.  Windows comes
> with a built-in GUI, and I hesitate to install
> another scripting language (Tcl) and its libraries,
> and then install a big system which has frequently been
> out of phase with Python releases just to access the
> Windows GUI.

To me this all sounds like FUD.  Since Python 1.6 and 2.0, you don't
have to install Tcl/Tk or its libraries -- it is installed
*transparently* by the Python Windows installer.  That's different --
and better -- than what happened in 1.5.2, where a separate Tcl/Tk
installer was optionally run.  The version issues are also resolved
this way: you are guaranteed to get exactly the Tcl/Tk version that
was tested by the developers.

> What if a user calls with a problem?  Why should I
> have to debug their Tcl library path problems?  No
> thanks.

The Tcl library paths are all taken care of by the new installer
strategy.

Really, give it a try.  It Just Works! (SM)