[Python-Dev] Gradual migration

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 06:56:40 -0700

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> Having Python itself written in C++ we could do *much* better.

Agree.

> The slot design has serious drawbacks and should be replaced by
> something more reliable, preferably C++ methods. That way, we'll
> get some more "type" safety into Python and its extensions.

I agree that the slot stuff is broken but my solution would be to junk
it and use the same mechanism for looking up "type methods" and
"instance methods". I can think of two ways to make that perform
reasonably: one is method caching and the other is by building interface
objects where methods are invoked by index -- basically vtables. But if
the same mechanism is going to accelerate Python and C types alike then
it can't really use C++ vtables because how do you generate a vtable at
runtime for a new Python class? (you could also think of it as a COM
interface object)

> So I guess it's time for some PEPs now... the upgrade path
> PEP and the fluffy clouds PEP.

Good timing. I just finished the first draft of the upgrade path PEP.

Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/perlis-alan/quotes.html