[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:35:48 -0700

Mark Hammond wrote:

> I don't think it will be "fixed", as it is not considered "broken".  It was
> an explicit choice to leave out Tcl/Tk.  And my recollection is that the
> "feedback" address sees more requests for wxPython than Tcl/Tk.

That's all true. We also make it very easy to find the right version of
Tcl/Tk and will probably go even farther in this direction in the
future. Built-in Tcl/Tk support is not out of the question but there are
various user confusion issues: "Why are there two GUI frameworks in this
development environment? Why are there two development environments in
this development environment? Doesn't ActiveState have yet another GUI
framework and development environment under development?" "Why do I need
Tcl at all? What is its relationship with Python?

There are clear benefits to including Tcl/Tk but there are also costs
and its possible we'll weigh them differently in the future.

BTW: ActivePython does include Tkinter.

--
 Paul Prescod
Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.