[Python-Dev] A possible bit for a README or FAQ?

Charles G Waldman cgw@fnal.gov
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:14:53 -0500 (CDT)

Skip Montanaro writes:

 > Just came across this error while running configure:
 >
 >     checking for gcc... gcc
 >     checking whether the C compiler (gcc   ) works... no
 >     configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

 > If this is deemed useful I'll modify README and check it in.  If not, no big
 > deal.

Personally,  I don't think this is useful.  I don't think the Python
README is the place to list everything that can go wrong during
./configure.

The generic advice is "If something goes wrong during ./configure,
read through config.log to see what went wrong"

I'm curious what is in your config.log when this error occurs!