[Python-Dev] A possible bit for a README or FAQ?

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:21:26 +1300 (NZDT)

Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>:

> Or failing that, it could be out of 'indirect' or 'doubly-indirect'
> blocks,

I think they're allocated from the same pool as data blocks.

What *can* happen is that you can run out of "large" blocks.  The
BSD-style filesystem stores files bigger than 8k in blocks made up of
8 contiguous 1k blocks. If the filesystem is nearly full, or contains
a large number of small files, you can find that it's impossible to
create any more files > 8k, even though there appears to be plenty of
free space, because the space is too fragmented.

I don't think that's what's happening here, though, since I've
only ever seen it happen when the filesystem was about 99% full.