[Python-Dev] linuxaudiodev test does nothing

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:49:45 -0400

On 31 August 2000, Ka-Ping Yee said:
> Just so you know -- i was definitely able to get this to work at
> some point before when we were trying to fix this.  I changed
> test_linuxaudiodev and it played the .AU file correctly.  I haven't
> had time to survey what the state of the various modules is now,
> though -- i'll have a look around and see what's going on.

I have three copies of test_linuxaudiodev.py in my Lib/test directory:
the original, Ping's version, and Michael Hudson's version.  I can't
remember who hacked whose, ie. if Michael or Ping's is earlier.
Regardless, none of them work.  Here's how they fail:

$ /python Lib/test/regrtest.py test_linuxaudiodev
test_linuxaudiodev
1 test OK.

...but the sound is horrible: various people opined on this list, many
months ago when I first reported the problem, that it's probably a
format problem.  (The wav/au mixup seems a likely candidate; it can't be
an endianness problem, since the .au file is 8-bit!)

$ ./python Lib/test/regrtest.py test_linuxaudiodev-ping
test_linuxaudiodev-ping
Warning: can't open Lib/test/output/test_linuxaudiodev-ping
test test_linuxaudiodev-ping crashed -- audio format not supported by linuxaudiodev: None
1 test failed: test_linuxaudiodev-ping

...no sound.

./python Lib/test/regrtest.py test_linuxaudiodev-hudson
test_linuxaudiodev-hudson
Warning: can't open Lib/test/output/test_linuxaudiodev-hudson
test test_linuxaudiodev-hudson crashed -- linuxaudiodev.error: (11, 'Resource temporarily unavailable')
1 test failed: test_linuxaudiodev-hudson

...this is the oddest one of all: I get the "crashed" message
immediately, but then the sound starts playing.  I hear "Nobody expects
the Spani---" but then it stops, the test script terminates, and I get
the "1 test failed" message and my shell prompt back.

Confused as hell, and completely ignorant of computer audio,

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org
MEMS Exchange / CNRI                           voice: +1-703-262-5376