[Python-Dev] Re: DEBUG_SAVEALL feature for gc not in 2.0b1?

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 17:43:05 +0200 (CEST)

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> If I read my (patched) version of gcmodule.c correctly, with the
> gc.DEBUG_SAVEALL bit set, gc.garbage *does* acquire all garbage, not just
> the stuff with __del__ methods.

Yes. And you don't know which objects are collectable and which ones
are not by this collector. That is, SAVEALL transforms the collector
in a cycle detector. The collectable and uncollectable objects belong
to two disjoint sets. I was arguing about this distinction, because
collectable garbage is not considered garbage any more, uncollectable
garbage is the real garbage left, but if you think this distinction
doesn't serve you any purpose, fine.

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr