[Python-Dev] Thread problems on Linux

Charles G Waldman cgw@alum.mit.edu
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 21:33:24 -0500

No, I still don't have the answer, but I came across a very interesting
bit in the `info' files for glibc-2.1.3.  Under a heading "Specific Advice
for Linux Systems", along with a bunch of info about installing glibc,
is this gem:

 >    You cannot use `nscd' with 2.0 kernels, due to bugs in the
 > kernel-side thread support.  `nscd' happens to hit these bugs
 > particularly hard, but you might have problems with any threaded
 > program.

Now, they are talking about 2.0 and I assume everyone here running Linux
is running 2.2.  However it makes one wonder whether all the bugs in
kernel-side thread support are really fixed in 2.2.  One of these days
we'll figure it out...