[Python-Dev] 2.0 Optimization & speed

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 22:48:23 +0200 (CEST)

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> > > This was postponed to 2.1. It doesn't have any impact on
> > > performance...
> >
> > sure has, for anyone distributing python applications.  we're
> > talking more than 1 meg of extra binary bloat (over 2.5 megs
> > of extra source code...)
>
> Yes, but not there's no impact on speed and that's what Valdimir
> was referring to.

Hey Marc-Andre, what encoding are you using for printing my name? <wink>

> > the 2.0 release PEP says:
> >
> >     Compression of Unicode database - Fredrik Lundh
> >       SF Patch 100899
> >       At least for 2.0b1.  May be included in 2.0 as a bug fix.
> >
> > (the API is frozen, and we have an extensive test suite...)
>
> Note that I want to redesign the Unicode database and ctype
> access for 2.1: all databases should be accessible through
> the unicodedatabase module which will be rewritten as Python
> module.
>
> The real data will then go into auxilliary C modules
> as static C data which are managed by the Python module
> and loaded on demand. This means that what now is unicodedatabase
> will then move into some _unicodedb module.

Hey Marc-Andre, don't try to reduce /F's crunching efforts to dust.
My argument doesn't hold, but Fredrik has a point and I don't see how
your future changes would invalidate these efforts. If the size of
the distribution can be reduced, it should be reduced! Did you know
that telecom companies measure the quality of their technologies on
a per bit basis? <0.1 wink> Every bit costs money, and that's why
Van Jacobson packet-header compression has been invented and is
massively used. Whole armies of researchers are currently trying to
compensate the irresponsible bloatware that people of the higher
layers are imposing on them <wink>. Careful!

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr