[Python-Dev] Is the 2.0 xml package too immature to release?

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:14:52 -0500

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 05:25:37PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >by the XML-sig.  While the original intent was for the XML-sig package
> >to be a superset of the core package, this doesn't appear to be
> >currently the case, even if the brokenness of the core xml package can
> >be fixed.
>
> I'd be more inclined to blame the XML-SIG package; the last public
> release is quite elderly, and the CVS tree hasn't been updated to be a
> superset of the xml/ package in the Python tree.  However, if you want
> to drop the Lib/xml/ package from Python, I have no objections at all;
> I never wanted it in the first place.

It's easy to blame.  (Aren't you responsible for the XML-SIG releases? :-)

I can't say that I wanted the xml package either -- I thought that the
XML-SIG wanted it, and insisted that it be called 'xml', conflicting
with their own offering.  I'm not part of that group, and have no time
to participate in a discussion there or read their archives.  Somebody
please get their attention -- otherwise it *will* be removed from 2.0!

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)