[Python-Dev] [comp.lang.python] sys.setdefaultencoding (2.0b1)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
15 Sep 2000 18:27:15 -0400

I was just reading comp.lang.python and saw an interesting question
that I couldn't answer.  Is anyone here game?

Jeremy
From: Donn Cave <donn@u.washington.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Subject: sys.setdefaultencoding (2.0b1)
Date: 12 Sep 2000 22:11:31 GMT

I see codecs.c has gone to some trouble to defer character encoding
setup until it's actually required for something, but it's required
rather early in the process anyway when site.py calls
sys.setdefaultencoding("ascii")

If I strike that line from site.py, startup time goes down by about
a third.

Is that too simple a fix?  Does setdefaultencoding("ascii") do something
important?

	Donn Cave, donn@u.washington.edu