[Python-Dev] How about braindead Unicode "compression"?

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 00:01:06 +0200

tim wrote:
> /F and I talked about it offline.  We'll do *something* before the day is
> done, and I suspect everyone will be happy.

Okay, I just went ahead and checked in a new version of the
unicodedata stuff, based on my earlier unidb work.

On windows, the new unicodedata PYD is 120k (down from 600k),
and the source distribution should be about 2 megabytes smaller
than before (!).

If you're on a non-windows platform, please try out the new code
as soon as possible.  You need to check out:

        Modules/unicodedata.c
        Modules/unicodedatabase.c
        Modules/unicodedatabase.h
        Modules/unicodedata_db.h (new file)

Let me know if there are any build problems.

I'll check in the code generator script as soon as I've figured out
where to put it...  (how about Tools/unicode?)

</F>