[Python-Dev] Python syntax checker ?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:14:02 -0400 (EDT)

  >> Personally, I'm quite in favour of having the full parser source
  >> (including parser generator if necessary) in the Python source
  >> distribution. As a GCC contributor, I know what pain it is for
  >> users that GCC requires bison to build - even though it is only
  >> required for CVS builds, as distributions come with the generated
  >> files.

  JCA> I see your point, but the practical solution that we can do
  JCA> today is to use YACC, bison, and distribute the generated
  JCA> parser files.

I don't understand what problem this is a practical solution to.
This thread started with MAL's questions about finding errors in
Python code.  You mentioned an effort to write a lint-like tool.
It may be that YACC has great support for error recovery, in which
case MAL might want to look at for his tool.

But in general, the most practical solution for parsing Python is
probably to use the Python parser and the builtin parser module.  It
already exists and seems to work just fine.

Jeremy