[Python-Dev] Python syntax checker ?

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:23:47 -0400

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> I don't understand what problem this is a practical solution to.

To recover from errors better by using YACC's built-in error
recovery features.  Maybe unifying the C and Java parsers.  I
admit I don't know how J-Python parses Python.

I kind of threw in my objection to tokenize.py which should be
combined with tokenizer.c.  Of course it is work which only
results in the same operation as before, but reduces the code
base.  Not a popular project.

> But in general, the most practical solution for parsing Python is
> probably to use the Python parser and the builtin parser module.  It
> already exists and seems to work just fine.

A very good point.  I am not 100% sure it is worth it.  But I
found the current parser unworkable for my project.

JimA