[Python-Dev] Stupid distutils bug

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:11:07 -0400

No, I mean *really* stupid.  So stupid that I nearly fell out of my
chair with embarassment when I saw Thomas Heller's report of it, because
I released Distutils 0.9.3 *before* reading my mail.  D'oh!

Anyways, this is such a colossally stupid bug that I'm *glad* 2.0b2
hasn't gone out yet: it gives me a chance to checkin the (3-line) fix.
Here's what I plan to do:
  * tag distutils-0_9_3 (ie. last bit of bureaucracy for the
    broken, about-to-be-superseded release)
  * checkin my fix
  * release Distutils 0.9.4 (with this 3-line fix and *nothing* more)
  * tag distutils-0_9_4
  * calmly sit back and wait for Jeremy and Tim to flay me alive

Egg-on-face, paper-bag-on-head, etc. etc...

        Greg

PS. be sure to cc me: I'm doing this from home, but my python-dev
subscription goes to work.

--
Greg Ward                                      gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/