[Python-Dev] Python 2.0 beta 2 pre-release

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:19:42 +0200

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 05:50:16PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

[ test_fcntl, test_pty and test_openpty failing on SuSe & Caldera Linux ]

>   Now, it may be that something strange is going on since these are
> the "virtual environments" on SourceForge.  I'm not sure these are
> really the same thing as running those systems.  I'm looking at the
> script to start SuSE; there's nothing really there but a chroot call;
> perhaps there's a kernel/library mismatch?

Nope, you almost got it. You were so close, too! It's not a kernel/library
thing, it's the chroot call ;) I'm *guessing* here, but it looks like you
get a faked privileged shell in a chrooted environment, which isn't actualy
privileged (kind of like the FreeBSD 'jail' thing.) It doesn't suprise me
one bit that it fails on those three tests. In fact, I'm (delightedly)
suprised that it didn't fail more tests! But these three require some
close interaction between the kernel, the libc, and the filesystem (instead
of just kernel/fs, libc/fs or kernel/libc.)

It could be anything: security-checks on owner/mode in the kernel,
security-checks on same in libc, or perhaps something sees the chroot and
decides that deception is not going to work in this case. If Sourceforge is
serious about this virtual environment service they probably do want to know
about this, though. I'll see if I can get my SuSe-loving colleague to
compile&test Python on his box, and if that works alright, I think we can
safely claim this is a Sourceforge bug, not a Python one. I don't know
anyone using Caldera, though.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>