[Python-Dev] stupid floating point question...

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:59:48 +0200

> Try again?  I have no idea what you're asking.  Obviously, str(i) won't
> look anything like str(1./6) for any integer i, so *that's* not what you're
> asking.

consider this code:

        PyObject* myfunc1(void) {
            return PyFloat_FromDouble((double) A / B);
        }

(where A and B are constants (#defines, or spelled out))

and this code:

        PyObject* myfunc2(int a, int b) {
            return PyFloat_FromDouble((double) a / b);
        }

if I call the latter with a=A and b=B, and pass the resulting
Python float through "str", will I get the same result on all
ANSI-compatible platforms?

(in the first case, the compiler will most likely do the casting
and the division for me, while in the latter case, it's done at
runtime)

</F>