[Python-Dev] 2.0b2 on Slackware 7.0

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 22:53:30 +0200

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 04:32:21PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

>   I just built and tested 2.0b2 on Slackware 7.0, and found that
> threads failed miserably.  I got the message:

> pthread_cond_wait: Interrupted system call

>   If anyone has any ideas, please send them along!  I'll turn this
> into a real bug report later.

I'm inclined to nudge this towards a libc bug... The exact version of glibc
Slackware 7 uses would be important, in that case. Redhat has been using
glibc 2.1.3 for a while, which seems stable, but I have no clue what
Slackware is using nowadays (I believe they were one of the last
of the major distributions to move to glibc, but I might be mistaken.) And
then there is the possibility of optimization bugs in the gcc that compiled
Python or the gcc that compiled the libc/libpthreads.

(That last bit is easy to test though: copy the python binary from a working
linux machine with the same kernel major version & libc major version. If it
works, it's an optimization bug. If it works bug exhibits the same bug, it's
probably libc/libpthreads causing it somehow. If it fails to start
altogether, Slackware is using strange libs (and they might be the cause of
the bug, or might be just the *exposer* of the bug.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>