[Python-Dev] Should Python #define _POSIX_THREADS?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:37:01 +0200

tim wrote:
> At heart, the claim was based on little more than "I said so", as far as I
> could see.  What does the POSIX pthreads standard say?

the SUSv2 spec says:

    "On XSI-conformant systems, _POSIX_THREADS,
    _POSIX_THREAD_ATTR_STACKADDR, _POSIX_THREAD_ATTR_STACKSIZE
    and _POSIX_THREAD_PROCESS_SHARED are always defined"

which doesn't say much about what the POSIX standard says,
of course...

fwiw, regarding the pthread.h file, it also says:

    "An interpretation request has been filed with IEEE PASC
    concerning requirements for visibility of symbols in this
    header"

which implies that the specification doesn't always "say so" ;-)

Cheers /F