[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Import hook to do end-of-line conversion?

Neil Hodgson nhodgson@bigpond.net.au
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 06:46:11 +1000

Just van Rossum:

> It should probably be off by default on all other systems (I think a
> compile-time switch is good enough). Maybe if we advertize the potential
> sloppy-unix-code-breakage loud enough we can make the feature mandatory in
> later release, however I don't see a practical way of issuing warnings for
the
> situation.

    It should be on by default for the Python interpreter reading Python
programs as making it off by default leads to the inability to run programs
written with Windows or Mac tools on Unix which was the problem reported by
'dsavitsk' on comp.lang.python.

   If it is going to be off by default then the error message should include
"Rerun with -f to fix this error".

   Neil