[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Import hook to do end-of-line conversion?

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:18:25 +1200 (NZST)

Chris Barker <chrishbarker@home.net>:

> It took me WAY
> too long to figure out that I had read the file in text mode.

My favourite way of falling into that trap involves AUFS
(the Appleshare Unix File Server). You're browsing the web
on a Unix box and come across a juicy-looking Stuffit file.
You download it into your AUFS directory, hop over to the
Mac and feed it to Stuffit Expander, which promptly throws
a wobbly.

"Shazbot," you mutter, "it got corrupted in the download
somehow." You try a couple more times, with the same result.
You're just about to write to the web site maintainer telling
them that their file is corrupt, when it dawns on you that:

(a) AUFS performs CR/LF translation on files whose Mac
type code is 'TEXT';

(b) Unix-created files default to type 'TEXT'.

(Sorry, not really Python-related. Pretend you've implemented
your Stuffit expander in Python...)