[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Import hook to do end-of-line conversion?

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:47:44 -0700

At 21:41 -0500 4/9/01, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>You might need to be able to specify a specific line ending format,
>but there should also be a default -- and it should be the default
>appropriate to the OS.  So, \n on Unix, \r\n on Windows, \r on Mac
>running in "Mac mode", and \n on MacOS X running in "Unix mode".

Is it the same in Mac OS X when reading a file from a UFS volume as from an
HFS(+) volume?

Only if the underlying libraries make it so.  (Typing in Mac OS X, but I
don't have any UFS volumes lying around.)

It's a little scary to contemplate that reading two different files, which
happen to be on the same disk spindle, will behave differently for the file
on the HFS+ volume than for the file on the UFS volume.  [There are perhaps
similar issues for our Linux friends who mount Windows volumes.]

What ever happened to "move text files to another system using FTP in ASCII
mode?"  Ah, yes...it probably died of Unicode.

  --John (there may no be any answers for this) Baxter
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA