[Python-Dev] INSTALL_PROGRAM

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:54:06 +0200

I just noticed that INSTALL_PROGRAM is defined as just INSTALL (either the
system "install" or the install-sh script, with possibly -c as argument)
without a -m argument (to set the mode.) INSTALL_DATA does have a -m
argument, to set the mode for all 'data' files to 644 explicitly.
INSTALL_PROGRAM gets called not just for the python executable, but also for
all files in Lib/ that have their executable bit set. Because
INSTALL_PROGRAM does not set the mode, the files (potentially, depending on
the install program/script in question) are subject to the umask and/or the
original file mode.

I've already screwed up my Python installation on a couple of BSDI boxes
twice, before I realized what the problem was :) What about we set the mode
for executables to 755 explicitly ? Distutils seems to do the right thing,
right now, but I'm pretty sure it was screwed up before. What logic does
distutils use to figure these things out ?

(There is also INSTALL_SCRIPT, but that doesn't seem to be used anywhere.)
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>