[Python-Dev] Re: Problem with SSL and socketmodule on Debian Potato?

Neil Schemenauer nas@python.ca
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:41:19 -0700

Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> It appears that RAND_status was indeed added between 0.9.4 and
> 0.9.5. A test for OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER would probably help; in
> 0.9.5a, it has the value of 0x0090581fL.

Right.  From my RAND_status man page:

       RAND_seed() and RAND_screen() are available in all
       versions of SSLeay and OpenSSL. RAND_add() and
       RAND_status() have been added in OpenSSL 0.9.5,
       RAND_event() in OpenSSL 0.9.5a.

The Debian libssl09-dev package does not work while
libssl096-dev does.  Both are available in the current stable
version of Debian (Potato).  We should patch socketmodule or add
a note to the README.

Sometimes I wonder if going to setup.py to build modules was a
mistake.  It would be easy to use autoconf to test of the
RAND_status function exists.  OTOH, its probably not too hard to
add the smarts to setup.py.

  Neil